What Is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing is a powerful way for businesses of all sizes to reach prospects and customers. Your customers are already interacting with brands through social media, and if you're not speaking directly to your audience through social platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest, you're missing out! Great marketing on social media can bring remarkable success to your business, creating devoted brand advocates and even driving leads and sales.
Social Media Marketing, or SMM, is a form of internet marketing that involves creating and sharing content on social media networks in order to achieve your marketing and branding goals. Social media marketing includes activities like posting text and image updates, videos, and other content that drives audience engagement, as well as paid social media advertising.
Before you begin creating social media marketing campaigns, consider your business’s goals. Here are some questions to ask when defining your social media marketing goals:
Social media marketing can help with a number of goals, such as:
The bigger and more engaged your audience is on social media networks, the easier it will be for you to achieve every other marketing goal on your list!
You are not alone. Digital marketing consultants are sought after because they help to bridge the gap between businesses and the online world, helping them to market their products, services, and brand in the right way.
At Motley Matrix our strategy teaches you how to create a community with Facebook, grow awareness with Twitter, share great video content with YouTube, Vine and Instagram, show off your products with Pinterest or highlight your credentials with a LinkedIn profile. Our mission is for our social media trainers to up-skill your workforce so that your activity is “owned” by your staff and therefore becomes more natural.
The training sessions are tailored to your organization, your audiences and your KPIs - what you need to achieve. Over a set timescale we can help you with content planning as well as implementing social media policy and procedures. We can can teach you how to manage the social media campaign process including keeping track of activity and how to scrutinize the measurable outcomes.
Motley Matrix is comprised by seasoned professionals who understand what it takes to define and deliver products that sell. We offer a broad range of services to support virtually every need of your product marketing department, including:
· New product launches
· Product management
· Product positioning & messaging
· Product life cycle development
Digital marketing is an umbrella term that is used to describe various forms of marketing that are done online.
This includes, but is not limited to, Web Design and Development, search engine optimization (also known as SEO), and Paid Media such as Google AdWords, Facebook/Instagram advertising, and (YouTube) video advertising.
Digital marketing allows businesses to leverage different online channels to better target their customers and prospective customers. It brings together all of the latest marketing tools, technology, and trends, and utilizes them to help businesses of all shapes and sizes to effectively reach out to their customers and prospective customers.
Each channel is designed for different audiences and offer various targeting methods. For example, Facebook advertising provides the ability to target people by demographics, psychographics, and online browsing behaviors. It works well to generate awareness (the user never knew this existed, but I might be interested), interest (user may have known this existed but now I am interested), and even desire for a product or service. Google AdWords, on the other hand, can be used to find potential customers that are actively seeking to buy NOW based on their search queries (search and shopping advertising) or to just generate awareness and interest (display and video ads).
The reality is that thanks to new technology, people now spend more time online than ever before. Effective marketing is about connecting with your audience at the right time and place – today that is online.
With more and more brands looking for effective digital marketing, the need for digital marketing consultants is at an all-time high. There is a major need for marketing consultants that are skilled and experienced within a range of online marketing methods, from social media to display advertising.
The basic definition of a digital marketing consultant is someone who is a highly skilled professional with specialist training in online marketing, who knows how to target consumers in the right ways to see the results that a business needs.
A marketing consultant works with businesses, from startups to large corporations, to determine how best to engage existing clients and prospective ones. A marketing consultant uses the company’s existing business model to consider what market potential there is, and then creates a marketing strategy that should work successfully for the brand, allowing them to achieve their goals.
In terms of what exactly a marketing consultant focuses on, that depends on the business and its needs.
Below are some of the typical responsibilities that marketing consultants can take on:
· Find new opportunities for the business to engage with existing customers and attract new ones.
· Perform an evaluation of existing marketing, such as social media, SEO, and email marketing, for instance, and use that to create more effective marketing methods.
· Improve company branding so that it resonates better with customers and prospective customers.
· Improve client engagement and communication, a great tool for this is social media campaigns that can involve various social media platforms. (paid and organic)
· Coordinate platforms for content, such as a blog and website landing pages, using SEO to ensure that all content is search engine friendly and ranks the pages and site highly in Google and other search engines.
· Manage marketing campaigns run via email, social media, mobile marketing, and local marketing.
· Use analytics to monitor success and ensure that optimal results are achieved. At the bare minimum, this would include Google Analytics, Google search console, and Heat map user tracking and recording.
· The role of a marketing consultant is quite a diverse one, as they offer help in many different areas of marketing and business. They advise, plan, and research, to ensure that a business is utilizing online marketing to reach their best customers/leads on the right platforms.
Just like in every role, to be successful, there are certain things that a digital marketing consultant must have to succeed. Being a digital marketing consultant means understanding how the internet is a crucial marketing tool and how to use it effectively to market a brand.
It is about knowing how each social media platform and digital channel connect with each other and how these connections can be used to effectively market a business. With that in mind, the question remains – what specific skills does a successful marketing consultant need?
An important part of being a marketing consultant is being able to analyze data and use analytics to determine how well a company’s marketing is going and to make actionable recommendations. To make this easier, a hybrid of technical and creative problem-solving skills are invaluable.
It is also vital that digital marketing consultants are goals focused. This means knowing not only how to set achievable goals but also how to successfully measure success when it comes to meeting them. Businesses are always looking for results, which is why being able to set realistic goals is so important.
A strategy is the plan of action to reach a certain goal, while tactics is a specific action that is part of the strategy.
To be a good marketing consultant, understanding this is crucial.
Give a person a coloring book and they can color between the lines (tactics).
But without lines (the strategy), it is just a big mess.
To be a sought-after marketing consultant, it is important to be a good listener. This is because to get a proper insight into a business, its’ needs, and any problems that it is having; it is crucial to be able to listen to what is being said beyond the words. A good marketing consultant knows that listening and empathizing with the business’s problems is a vital skill.
An important part of the role of a marketing consultant is to collect data, organize that data, pull out insights, and come up with recommendations for the company that balances each area of marketing and prioritizes the most important aspects.
Lastly, to be successful, a marketing consultant needs to have leadership skills and be professional in the way that they work. When a marketing consultant is hired, the company expects them to be confident and professional in how they go about their work. No one wants to work with a marketing consultant that does not approach their work in a professional and confident way, as this suggests that they have a lack of adequate knowledge and experience for the job.
There has no doubt about it, digital marketing consultants can be incredibly useful for certain companies, but the question is how do you know when you need their help and why?
Let us start with who needs the help of a marketing consultant. This is something we have already discussed above – the people who require the help of marketing consultants are business owners. Marketing consultants can help businesses of all shapes and sizes, from small startups to huge corporations; it is just a case of finding the right strategy and tactics for each individual business’s needs.
Businesses that can benefit from working with a Motley Matrix marketing consultant are companies that…
· Want to expand and grow their customer base.
· Need to set strong, well-defined online marketing goals.
· Want a strong marketing plan that focuses on both short-term and long-term goals.
· Need assistance measuring key analytics to improve chances of success.
· Want to improve relationships with customers and prospective customers.
· Want to expand into new markets to connect with new customers.
· Want to intimately understand how their competition is marketing themselves online in relation to their own positioning. (Competitive Intelligence)
· For businesses, the help of a digital marketing consultant can allow them to expand their business and move into new markets, improving their success and boosting their revenue. For businesses that don’t have the skills and knowledge to deal with their own digital marketing needs, working with a digital consultant can help them to ensure that they have a strong strategy in place with goals that are achievable to meet and will aid their progress in terms of meeting their long-term goals.
The messaging that goes with your product features is central. It is imperative to develop content that tells your product's story, thus creating a message that reaches your target market. By pairing design thinking and strategy to better understand the essence of the story you are trying to tell, we will help you develop a compelling narrative that allows you to reach your audience.
In order to learn more about how working with Motley Matrix can help you take your product marketing to the next level, contact us today!